A 25-year-old man working in a lumbar mill has accidentally amputated his right hand while operating a high-speed table saw. The first aid attendant has the amputated hand, and the man is sitting holding his arm at his side, the wound is bleeding severely.
What is the preferred order of methods that should be used to control the hemorrhage?
- Application of an appropriate pressure point.
- Elevation of the injured arm.
- Direct pressure applied to the stump.
- Application of a tourniquet to the injured arm.
- Positioning the patient at rest, supine.