You are dispatched Code 3 to an industrial accident. The patient is a 50-year-old man who has completely amputated his left thumb while using a skill saw on the work site. The first aid attendant is on scene comforting the patient, and another worker has recovered the severed thumb and placed it in a plastic bag. The wound has minimal bleeding which is well controlled by direct pressure and elevation.
The steps needed to manage the patient's wounds are listed out of sequence and with a few incorrect steps.
- Place the amputated part directly in ice.
- Cover amputated part in moistened sterile dressing.
- Cover amputated part with an occlusive dressing.
- Place amputated part in a plastic bag.
- Protect amputated part with bulky dressings.
- Keep amputated part cool.
- Rinse gross foreign matter from the amputated part with sterile saline.
Select the correct sequence from below.